Sunday 18 December 2011

Bah Humbug : Hail Tiny Tim

My broken foot has given me the opportunity to understand the saying "it takes one to know one". The first couple of weeks on crutches involved some foot pain but more distress in my shoulders, hip and hands from using the crutches. I was angry and felt somewhat sorry for myself as I suddenly could not do the things in my life that I took for granted. When I thought about the permanently handicapped folks or the many people who suffer from invisible illnesses, it put my temporary setback into perspective.

On crutches, I had doors slammed in my face, struggled getting in and out of public washrooms, juggled my crutches and rearranged furniture to raise my foot in restaurants and barely missed having my boot hit by bicycles and pedestrians. What I realized is that people with disabilities are often either invisible or ignored.

I know that none of my family and friends fall into the scrooge category. I want to wish you all a happy holiday and say thanks for helping all the "Tiny Tims'" out there!





Joy to the World!  Love from Caron, Chris & Dixie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.